Geriatrics is a lot of fun, but can sometimes seem daunting, especially to young physicians. Our required curriculum includes 1 month, 2 weeks in the 2nd and 3rd years, of intense exposure to the problems of the elderly. The goal during these rotations is to help make the care of elderly patients, with their many and complex problems, less threatening. We learn through reading, small group didactic sessions, evaluating and treating outpatients, nursing home patients, and hospital and hospice patients.
The Geriatrics Track is an opportunity for those residents considering a geriatrics fellowship, inpatient work or caring for the elderly with a strong interest in internal medicine and/or end of life issues to pursue a more intense geriatric experience.
- Flexibility – a new program with room for individual development
- Clinical Mentoring by Family Physicians with additional qualifications in geriatric medicine and considerable experience: Geriatrics continuity clinic weekly or biweekly; Geriatrics Assessment Consultation clinic for our large medical practice; Geriatrics Inpatient Consultation service
- Electives in geriatric pertinent areas, internal medicine, end of life care, orthopedics
- Academic Faculty Development: Help coordinate the physician education and care of our hospice patients; present morbidity and mortality reviews; coordinate geriatrics journal club
- Dedicated time weekly for work related to track: didactic, clinical, presentations, chart review
- CME conferences in geriatrics – good for networking and academic learning
Residents who are in strong academic standing may apply at the end of the 2nd year for the 1-year track in the 3rd year. Interested? Contact Lynne Diamond, M.D.
Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center - 1798 N. Garey Avenue - Pomona, CA 91767 - (909) 865-9500 - Contact Us