PVHMC's Family Medicine Program is affiliated with the Pomona Community Health Center (PCHC)
PCHC is a comprehensive medical clinic providing primary care and medication at no or reduced cost to low income individuals and families.
Under the stewardship of PVHMC residency graduate, Dr. Jamie Garcia, past CEO, the original 2-exam room clinic in the Department of Public Health achieved Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) status and re-located to a new 12 room exam clinic in the Village complex located on Indian Hill and Holt Avenues in September 2012. The Village was visited by Barack Obama in 2008 and recognized for its innovative "one stop - wrap around social services" for the homeless and working poor. PCHC has two outreach clinics, one at the House of Ruth Woman's and Children's Domestic Violence Shelter and the other at the Pomona Homeless Shelter. The Medically Underserved Health track was instituted to provide interested residents with greater exposure, training, and mentoring in health care disparities, the patient-centered medical home and community clinics (See Pomona Health Facts on website). Dr. Alex Wang, Medical Director and his staff of other physicians are enthusiastic about launching this new program.
Key Components of the Track:
- Clinics - includes increased time seeing patients at the PCHC and performing procedures, providing education at group visits for Diabetics, and participating in pharmacy rounds.
Curriculum - Readings on at risk patient populations including the latest research on progress and goals yet to be reached in addressing health care disparities in various populations.
- Mentoring in Practice Management - including foundations for and sustainability of FQHCs and the impact of the new health care law on CHCs.
- CME - conferences in Community Health Care.
- Elective time exploring other areas of interest within the PCHC and/or other clinics.
- Academic Faculty Development - mentoring and training on curriculum development and teaching skills, both didactic and clinical, presenting resident lectures on topics of interest.
Who is involved?
The track residents are selected based on their interest and good academic standing. Selection occurs toward the latter part of the first year of residency. Visit their website for more information www.PomonaCHC.org