OB & Women’s Health
Obstetrics and Women's Health Track
Obstetrics and Women’s Health are vital components of Family Medicine, which are sometimes neglected in the present scope of many family medicine practices and training programs. The OB and Women’s Health track was instituted in the Family Medicine Residency Program at Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center to provide interested residents with greater exposure, training, and mentoring in this area.
Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center provides excellent opportunity for training and growth in the area of OB and Women’s Health. We have the 3rd highest volume of deliveries in the state of California, with over 6,000 deliveries per year. The residency is unopposed so that our residents are the only residents on Labor and Delivery. Our Family Health Center clinic has a successful, growing obstetrical practice. Several of our own graduates are currently practicing obstetrics in our community.
Key Components of the Track
- OB ultrasound/GYN procedure clinics - includes procedures such as colposcopy, cryotherapy of cervix, endometrial biopsy, and IUD insertion.
- Mentoring in OB Practice Management by Family Medicine Faculty practicing OB both in the residency program and in the community
- CME conferences in OB and Women’s Health
- Elective time in OB, High Risk OB, and GYN with OB/GYN and perinatology faculty
- Academic Faculty Development - mentoring and training on curriculum development and teaching skills, both didactic and clinical
- Additional OB and GYN procedure opportunities for vaginal and vacuum deliveries, and assisting in GYN and cesarean surgeries
- Training in OB Risk Management- including chart reviews, clinic OB protocols, morbidity and mortality reviews, malpractice coverage for FP practicing OB, and networking with OB/GYN in the community