What is Palliative Care
The Palliative Care Team Will Work To
- Treat your pain and other symptoms.
- Educate you and your family in an effort to promote understanding of the disease process and the expected future course of your illness.
- Establish an environment that promotes your cultural, spiritual and religious needs.
- Engage you and your family to participate in the medical decision making process.
- Develop a plan of care that promotes your quality of life and maintains the dignity you deserve.
Who Is My Palliative Care Team?
- Physician will manage the pain and symptoms associated with your disease. He or she will also discuss your disease progression and can assist you with advance care planning, review treatment options and help you develop goals of care.
- Social Worker provides emotional support to you and your family as you cope with a new life limiting diagnosis or progression of an advanced disease.
- Nurse provides valuable resources and education, keeping you well informed and prepared to make important decisions about your care.
- Chaplain is available to both you and your family for religious or spiritual support and prayer. The Palliative Care Team works in partnership with your own doctor to provide an extra layer of support for you and your family.
The Palliative Care Team works in partnership with your own doctor to provide an extra layer of support for you and your family.
Is Palliative Care The Same As Hospice?
No, hospice is for individuals who have decided to stop treatment that may prolong their life. This can include dialysis, gastric tube feedings, and mechanical ventilation. The primary goal of hospice services is to provide comfort care. Palliative care is a medical service that can be offered at the same time as treatment and may include the management of your pain and symptoms as well as discussions about advance care options.
How to contact the Palliative Care Team
For nonemergent questions or concerns contact the Palliative Care team at 909.630.7029.
For afterhours or emergencies ask your Nurse to contact the Palliative Care physician.