Los Angeles County's Newest Trauma Center
When a loved one is suddenly injured, your instinct is to rush to the nearest hospital emergency department. But not every emergency department is equipped to handle traumatic injuries. Only certain hospitals in Los Angeles County – including PVHMC – are designated as trauma centers and are equipped to treat life-threatening injuries 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Unlike regular hospital emergency departments, trauma centers must meet many rigorous standards established by the American College of Surgeons (ACS). That includes having a specially trained trauma surgeon at the hospital around the clock, whose sole purpose is to treat traumatically injured patients, PVHMC has eight trauma surgeons who are double board-certified in general surgery and surgical critical care. They’re supported by elite orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons and 24-hour in-house anesthesia coverage.
As a Trauma Center, PVHMC also has:
- Immediately available operating rooms
- Staffed and available CT scanners
- Trauma-trained nurses and technicians
- Surgical critical care capabilities
- Around-the-clock Blood Bank operations
- Trauma Intensive Care Unit
- Helipad for aerial transports