Cardiac Education & Support
Daytime Education Series
A key component to risk factor modification is education. At the Stead
Heart and Vascular Center we offer a Cardiovascular Education Series.
It is very important for all of our patients to attend our classes and
support groups. Most of the classes and group meeting are free or offered
for nominal participation fee.
Patients and community members wanting to learn more about heart health
or talk with others in a welcoming setting are encouraged to attend. Here
is a listing of our ongoing classes and groups.
- Exercise – Participants will be taught training principles, the components
of an exercise program, how to improve each component and the benefits
of regular exercise.
- Nutrition – Three classes are offered in the area of nutrition. Members
will learn about heart healthy eating, how fat and cholesterol impact
the heart and vessels, describing and planning a balanced meal, and what
the major nutrients do for the body and why we should consume them.
- Heart Disease – Most of the classes explain the major risk factors
for heart disease. Attendees will learn which risk factors are modifiable
and will be given tips on how to decrease specific factors.
- Hypertension – This class will educate those with hypertension or
those at risk for developing hypertension, about pathophysiology, diagnosis
and treatment of high blood pressure. In addition, members will receive
instruction regarding stroke - the causes, signs/symptoms, and the methods
of diagnosis and treatment of a stroke.
- Smoking Session - Smoking remaiins a significant risk factor for heart
disease and stroke. This class will support and provide tool for those
interested in needing help to quit smoking.
- Stress Management - The importance of stress management in the primary
and secondary prevention of coronary heart disease will be taught in this
class. Participants will learn what stress does to the entire body, both
physically and psychologically, the heart and vessels specifically and
will be given numerous tips on how to decrease and manage stress.
- Weight Management – Attendees will learn the importance of consuming
a variety of nutrients and how to lose weight safely. In addition, members
will be instructed in behavior therapy and altering the environment in
which they live.
- Cardiac Support Group - This class allows adults with cardiac disease,
or those at risk of cardiac disease, to share their feelings, needs and
concerns with other cardiac patients who may be experiencing the same
events. This is a proven therapeutic model for coping and achieving a
For more information on Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center's Stead
Heart & Vascular Center, please call 909.865.9858.