Preparing for Surgery
Our goal is to help you understand what is going to happen and to empower
you to be a partner in your recovery. The Joint Replacement Preparation
Class and the Pre Admission Testing appointment will provide you with
education and information to promote a more successful surgical outcome.
Joint Replacement Preparation Class:
Class is held on Wednesday’s from 10 am to 12:30 pm, weekly in English.
To reserve your space in the pre-operative education course please call
909.630.7403. Spanish version of the Joint Replacement Preparation Class
is offered on an as needed basis on the second Wednesday of every month
from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm in the Outpatient Pavilion. Please call 909.865.9859
to reserve your space.
(La versión en español de la Clase de preparación para
el reemplazo de articulaciones se ofrece según sea necesario el
segundo miércoles de cada mes de 3:00 p.m. a 5:00 p.m. en el Pabellón
para pacientes ambulatorios. Por favor llame al 909.865.9859 para reservar
The Joint Replacement Joint Class is held in the Robert and Beverly Lewis
Outpatient Pavilion, 2nd Floor Multipurpose Room, P200C. The goal is to
have this education class approximately 4 weeks prior to surgery.
(The Outpatient Pavilion is located on the main hospital campus of Pomona
Valley Hospital Medical Center at 1798 N. Garey Ave, Pomona, CA 91767).
The outline of the class is as follows:
- Preparing for surgery
- What Happens in the Hospital
- What to Expect When you Go Home
- Blood Clot Prevention
- Pain Management
- Physical and Occupational Therapy
- Question and Answer Session
Bring your support person who will be helping you after surgery with you
to class (we call this person your coach) to receive the same education.
You will receive your Joint Replacement Guidebook when you attend the
class. Keep your Guidebook as a handy reference at least the first year
after your surgery. The information in the Guidebook covers a lot of information
so it may look overwhelming. Since it will assist you with your surgery,
we recommend reading the entire guide, at a pace that suits you.
- Joint Replacement Class Brochure
- Folleto para la preparación de el reemplazo de Articulaciones
Pre Admission Testing (PAT):
Please schedule your appointment for two weeks prior to your surgery date.
You will need to call Centralized Scheduling at 909.469.9395 or click
here to schedule this appointment. Please allow approximately 2 hours for this
appointment. You must have the Pre Admission Testing folder (see picture
below) from your surgeon’s office to complete this appointment.
The Pre Admission Testing unit is located at the Robert and Beverly Lewis
Outpatient Pavilion, on the main hospital campus, on the 1st floor.
Bring the information below with you to PAT appiontment:
- Physician’s orders- in the Pre-Admission Testing folder the surgeon’s
office provided you with.
- Insurance Card and / or policy, Medicare or Medi-Cal card
- Driver’s licenses and / or photo ID cards of the patient and the insured
- Emergency contact information
- Legal Arrangements –Living Will or Durable Power of Attorney, Advanced Directive
- Medications List - include dosage, how often, why you take it & last
time you took it.
- Allergies- what your reaction was to the medication (Hives, shortness of
- Reactions to anesthesia
- Doctors Names and Numbers and why you are seeing them
- Dietary Restrictions
- Medical History-(i.e. Diabetes, hypertension, heart problems, asthma, Hepatitis,
HIV, Sleep Apnea, CPAP machine, kidney or liver disease, MRSA, VRE, any
infections you were isolated for in the past)
- Email address if you want access to your medical information through the
MYHEALTH Patient Portal.
- “Coach’s” number and information