National Nutrition Month - Put Your Best Fork Forward
Each year during March, we celebrate National Nutrition Month® by focusing
on the importance of making informed food choices, developing healthy
eating habits and increasing physical activity.
The theme for 2017 is "Put Your Best Fork Forward", which acts
as a reminder that each bite counts. Making just small shifts in our food
choices, can add up over time. The
2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans suggest starting with small changes in order to make healthier lasting
changes you can enjoy. So whether you are planning meals to prepare at
home or making selections when eating out,
Put Your Best Fork Forward to help find your healthy eating style.
Here are some suggestions to help you get started:
- Create an eating style that includes a variety of your favorite, healthful foods.
- Practice cooking more at home and experiment with healthier ingredients.
- How much we eat is as important as what we eat. Eat and drink the right
amount for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Manage your weight or lower your health risks by consulting a registered
dietitian nutritionist. RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized
nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
*Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics,www.eatright.org, National Nutrition Month 2017 Key Messages