Post-Surgery, In-Hospital Goals:
- Day of Discharge is Post Op Day (POD) # 1 - 2 for both Hip and Knee Replacement
Patients. (Day of Surgery is considered POD #0).
- Patients ambulate from gurney to bed on arrival to unit from PACU.
- PT Uniforms to encourage mobilization and feeling of wellness after surgery.
- Active assisted Knee Range of Motion after knee replacement.
- Physical Therapy (PT) Evaluation and Treatment on the Day of Surgery occurs
in the afternoon or evening after surgery, once the patient is on the
floor. Our goal is for patients to walk on the day of surgery.
- PT twice a day until discharged home.
- Occupational Therapy (OT) once a day until discharged home for Hip Replacements
and until tasks are mastered for Knee Replacements. OT addresses Activities
of Daily Living such as using the restroom, getting dressed, etc.
- Case Management begins on POD # 1 to ensure a timely discharge.
- Patients are discharged home with their coach on POD # 1 - 2. Durable Medical
Equipment and Home Health PT or RN services or Outpatient PT will be ordered
based on patient’s needs prior to discharge.
BASICSS after Joint Replacement: HIP or KNEE:
The BASICSS is the pneumonic we use to help educate patients on the important
factors in self-care after surgery.
Post-Discharge Follow-Up Phone Call:
Patient who are discharged home from the hospital receive a follow up phone
call from the Joint Replacement Program checking on:
- Patients progress now that they are home.
- Verify patients received their Durable Medical Equipment and / or Home
- Educate as needed.
Our Joint Replacement Program includes a comprehensive, multidisciplinary
team approach to standardize care and to provide optimal outcomes for
our patients. We believe in providing “Expert Care with a Personal
Most insurance plans cover joint replacement surgery, but you should check
with your health plan to determine the extent of your coverage.
Need a Doctor?
Call PVHMC’s Physician Referral Line at
909.865.9782 or visit our website to find a doctor.
For more information about our Joint Replacement Program, please call 909.630.7815
or click on the PDF below for a copy of our brochure.